Casa Base de Salud
Who We Are
Casa Base de Salud is the only health clinic in Managua, Nicaragua located in the municipal landfill in a community known as La Chureca. Operated by Funjofudess, a Nicaraguan non-profit organization, the clinic is financially supported by Manna Project International and Austin Samaritans.
To promote health, to obtain community participation in health education and prevention and to create a place within the community that encourages and facilitates the processes of addressing health problems.
Who We Serve
Over 200 families live in La Chureca. Both adults and children sift through the trash to collect and sell recyclables. The Clinic seeks to provide the families of La Chureca with access to quality healthcare. Casa Base de Salud is the only clinic operating within La Chureca. Open daily and staffed by two general practitioners, a nurse, a pharmacist, and a community health promoter, Casa Base provides comprehensive, high-quality and affordable healthcare.
Health Promotion, Preventive Care, and Health Treatment
- Increase Awareness of General Hygiene
- Combat Malnutrition and Improve Nutrition
- Regular Health-related Educational Seminars
- Disease Prevention and Early Detection
- Reduction of the Advancement of Diseases
- Vaccinations and Nutritional Programs
- Identification, Treatment, and Elimination of the Most Common Illnesses; Respiratory, Skin, and Intestinal Infections
Every month the Clinic requires a minimum of $4000 to meet core expenses including; healthcare employee salaries, equipment/medical materials, and clinic administration expenses. To support the work of the Clinic with a financial contribution, visit our donation page here, every donation no matter the amount enables the Clinic to serve the people of La Chureca. Through continued partnership with Austin Samaritans, Manna Project hopes to meet the clinics budget every year - but this requires continued support from our many generous donors and friends. The Clinic also requires in-kind donations of medicines and supplies for frequently treated conditions and health promotion. The following is a list of critical needs for the Clinic.*
- Amoxicillin, Cephalexin, Dicloxacillin, Doxycyline, Gentamicin Ophthalmic, Penicillin, Trimethoprim
- Acetaminophen, Anti-inflammatories, Antihistamines, Pre-Natal Vitamins
- Blood Pressure Monitor, Computer and Projector, Condoms, Gloves, Medical scale, Meeting tables, Needles
* While in-kind donations are greatly appreciated, please keep in mind the logistics and finances required for their transport. Please contact Katie Messick, firstname.lastname@example.org for information.