Philosophy of why MPI works with partner organizations
Where MPIE operates, there are already individuals striving to advance both economically and as leaders in their communities, institutions dedicated to creating change, and networks of people and organizations working together to build up their communities. MPIE bases its work on these individuals, institutions and networks; as a young organization operated by yearlong volunteers, the long-term success of our programs and projects depend on the extent to which they are built into, and grow up from, these local actors.
Patronato, Municipio Rumiñahui
The Patronato is the social service branch of the town council of Sangolqui. They provide educational and social service programs to the people of Sangolqui. The Patronato is currently partnered with MPI Ecuador to provide business classes and training to the loan recipients of our Microfinance Pilot Project.
FEVI is an Ecuadorian, grass roots, non-profit organization dedicated to facilitate intercultural education and volunteer community service. Located in the other valley, FEVI provides an alternative site and volunteer opportunities for Spring Break groups visiting MPI Ecuador.
Tecnico del Valle
A family run technical high school located in Sangolqui that specializes in automotive, electrical and industrial mechanics. Provides an alternative education choice to students who make use of recycled materials while learning a valuable mechanical trade. MPI provides assistance to Tecnico’s English teacher, and summer volunteers teach classes to students and teachers.
A nearby Elementary and High School which serves the communities surrounding the Manna Library. PDs teach weekly nutrition classes to students, discussing healthy eating habits and the role that food plays in our overall health. Many of the kids who come to the library are students at Chaupitena.
Centro de Investigación Enrique Añamisi
- A small organic farmers cooperative in Rumiloma, close to our centro
- Partners with small local farmers in the valley to sell organic produce at a fair price.
- Delivers produce directly from the farms to the consumers
- Committed to the economic and social development of the valley
- Partners with us during summer camp to provide environmental education to the campers
La Cruz Roja Ecuatoriana
- Provide community health education in the valley
- Assist and protect the community during emergencies and disasters
- Valuable source of information for our Preventative Health Center and nutrition classes
- Offers opportunities for program directors to volunteer in the community and in the health field
Antorcha de Vida
- Rehabilitation and special education facility for children with special needs
- Advocates for the rights of people with disabilities in the valley
- Maintains several small gardens and sells produce on a small scale
- Previously worked with our summer volunteers and will be working this year with our Agriculture program
Cooperativa de Ahorro y Credito Esperanza y Progreso del Valle
- Savings and loan cooperative ‘Esperanza y Progreso del Valle’ or “Hope and Progress of the Valley”
- Founded in 2005 by and for citizens of the Chillos Valley
- Has a commitment to both economic and social development of the valley
- Has helped us with our after-school help and publicity (allowing us to publicize jointly in their name)
- American foundation
- Started and operated by Connecticut PA Jens Heartner, who has been to Ecuador over 15 times and came down originally as a medical volunteer in 2001
- Provided funds and resources for the expansion of Aliñambi’s student clinic to the surrounding neighborhoods
Centro de Inovación y Desarollo Empresarial (CIDE) (Center for Innovation and Business Development)
In conjunction with MPI and EPV, CIDE is training community members in the creation and operation of small businesses. CIDE offers the expertise, EPV provides the capital to their now-trained loan applicants, and the individuals create and operate small businesses.
CIDE – initiative of the university ESPE (Escuela Politecnica del Ejercito, or the Army Polytechnic School)
Universidad Politecnica Salesiana del Ecuador (Salesian Polytechnic University of Ecuador)
In order to better connect the people and institutions of the Chillos Valley to the resources available in Ecuador, MPIE has begun to pull in upwardly mobile Ecuadorian college students as volunteers in our programs.