Walmart Partners with MPI
Manna Project International is thrilled to announce an exciting partnership with Walmart Mexico and Central America. MPI has been awarded $27,476 by Walmart enabling us to increase the scope and impact of our work in La Chureca, the largest municipal dump in Latin America.
MPI is committed to improving the quality of life for mothers and their children in La Chureca. With the support of Walmart, MPI will expand the scope of the clinic and address extreme poverty, under/unemployment and malnutrition.
Improve the socio-economic status of women by increasing the quality of life and economic independence for this cohort.
- Create a cooperative comprised of 25 women to strengthen economic independence. Women report higher rates of unemployment and underemployment than man in La Chureca. The majority of families living in the dump earn less than two dollars per day and are run by single mothers.
- Promote healthy nutritional habits for vulnerable women to benefit themselves and their children. Poor health coverage and quality face all families living in La Chureca. The majority of families do not have access to health clinics apart from la Casa Base de Salud – the only fully functioning and free clinic within the dump. As such, this clinic is critical for families because it provides basic services that the government is unable to provide. MPI and the Clinic work together to promote health and to increase community participation in health education and nutrition.
With the financial support from Walmart, MPI will have the opportunity to improve the quality of life for people living in La Chureca by responding to extreme poverty, addressing under/unemployment, and decreasing malnutrition rates.
- 1 artisan cooperative led by 25 mothers
- 25 sustainable jobs for under/unemployed mothers
- 25 + children will grow up with economically independent mothers, breaking the cycle of poverty
- 18 MPI staff with increased knowledge about microfinance, business development, health and nutrition
- 50 empowered women making positive nutrition decisions for themselves and their families
- 420 nutrition consultations
- 50 + children growing up in families with increased awareness about health and nutrition
- Decreased malnutrition for infants, children, youth and young mothers
- 25,000 medical consultations and treatments in health and nutrition
- 2,500 children de-wormed
These two project coupled with our current work at the Casa Base de Salud Clinic will enable MPI to have an even greater impact on families in La Chureca.